Tax-effective Giving

Thank you for considering a gift to New College. We are keen to ensure that you are able to make any donations as tax effectively as possible, so please click on the links below to find further information:

UK Donations: Gift Aid and Share Giving

European Donations: Tax effective giving through a local partner

USA Donations: Tax deductible donations and Planned Giving

Canadian Donations: Tax deductible donations

Hong Kong Donations: Tax deductible donations


Gift Aid

As a registered charity, the New College Development Fund is able to reclaim basic rate tax (20%) on any donations that you make, at no cost to you. Furthermore, if you are a higher or additional rate tax payer, you can reclaim any additional tax that you have paid in your annual tax return.

As an example, if you make a donation of £80, New College can reclaim an additional £20 (£80 x 100/80), increasing the value of your donation to £100. A higher rate (40%) tax payer would then be able to reclaim £20, in effect reducing the cost of the gift to £60. Additional rate (45%) tax payers would be able to reclaim £25, in effect reducing the cost of the gift to £55.

(Please note that you must be a UK taxpayer for your donation to qualify for Gift Aid. You must have paid or will pay an amount of Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax for the current tax year (6 April to 5 April) that is at least equal to the amount of tax that all the charities and Community Amateur Sports Clubs (CASCs) that you donate to will reclaim on your gifts for the current tax year.)


Share Giving

Share giving is now one of the most tax-effective ways to give. When you give an asset to New College, you are treated as making no gain or loss for Capital Gains Tax purposes, so you won't have to pay any Capital Gains Tax. In addition, you are entitled to claim through your annual tax return full tax relief equal to the market value of the shares and any associated costs (such as brokers' fees). If you sold shares to raise cash for a donation, you would have to pay Capital Gains Tax on any increase in the market value of those shares.

For example:

A donor gives New College a gift of 2,000 shares in a company, which he bought for £6,000 and now have a market value of £10,000. The broker's fee, paid by the donor to arrange the transfer is £50. The tax deduction is calculated as follows:

Original cost of shares - £6,000
Current market value of shares - £10,000
Broker's fee - £50
Deduction against income - £10,050

If the donor is paying income tax at the higher rate of 40%, their income tax bill will be reduced by £4,020. This effectively means that the donation of £10,000 will actually cost the donor just £5,980 after tax relief.

The donor will also save the Capital Gains Tax that should have been paid on the increase in the value of the shares (from £6,000 to £10,000), which is £4,000. The current rate of Capital Gains Tax for individuals who pay above the basic rate of tax is 28%. Therefore, in effect, the donation worth £10,000 to New College has only cost them £4,860 (£5,980 - 28% of £4,000).


Qualifying stocks and shares

The shares that qualify for income tax relief are listed or dealt in on a recognized stock exchange, whether in the UK or elsewhere, including shares traded on the Alternative Investment Market; units in a UK authorised unit trust; shares in a UK open-ended investment company (OEIC); and holdings in certain foreign collective investment schemes (schemes outside the UK that are equivalent to unit trusts and OEICs).





New College and the University of Oxford are recognised by the Canadian Revenue Agency as prescribed institutions under Section 3503 of the Canadian Income Tax Regulations. On receipt of your donation, we will ensure that you are sent a receipt for Canadian tax purposes.





Old Members living in the United States can make tax deductible donations to The American Friends of New College (c/o Mr Winston J Churchill, SCP Partners, 7 Great Valley Parkway, Suite 190, Malvern PA 19355) who will send you a 501 (c)(3) tax receipt.

Alternatively donations by can be made online or by credit or debit card via Americans for Oxford Inc. (500 Fifth Avenue, 32nd Floor, New York, NY 10110) who will also send you a 501 (c)(3) tax receipt.


Planned Giving

Oxford Planned Giving is a collegiate wide initiative offered for residents of the USA. Planned gifts benefit New College while helping you to save taxes, increase your income and pass more on to your heirs.

Did you know that:

You can receive income for life in exchange for a giftGiving appreciated property, like stocks or real estate, costs less than giving the equivalent amount in cashSome assets can benefit you more if you give them awaySome gifts cost nothing now, but leave a legacy laterSome gifts allow you to pass more on to your heirs and save taxes

To find out more, please visit Oxford Planned Giving on the University's North American office website.





Benefactors in a number of European countries can make tax-efficient donations to the University of Oxford through a collaborative giving scheme. Transnational Giving Europe (TGE) is a partnership of leading European foundations that facilitates tax-efficient cross-border giving within Europe. TGE is currently operational for donations from and to at least a dozen European countries.

The TGE network enables donors resident in one of the participating countries (both corporations and individuals) to financially support non-profit organisations in other member countries, while benefiting directly from the tax advantages provided for in the legislation of their country of residence.
You can view contact details of national organisations in the network.




Hong Kong

Donations to New College can be made via the University of Oxford China Office Limited, a registered charity under Section 88 of the Inland Revenue Ordnance. Gifts of more than HK$100 may be claimed for tax deduction purposes. On receipt of your donation, the China Office will ensure that you are sent a receipt for Hong Kong tax purposes.

Further information is available on the China Office's website.