Jesus College, Oxford

Turl Street, Oxford OX1 3DW
Telephone (01865) 279700

Making a Donation

There are many ways you can donated to the College easily and tax-efficiently, from the UK and overseas. To view our priorities for support, please click here.

Online Giving

You can make a regular or one-off gift by going through the University's secure online payment system. All our appeals and priorities are listed. Please click here.

By Post

You can print off a donation form from pdf's available under each of the Appeal pages. By completing the form you can send us a cheque, set up a direct debit or standing order, or make a one-off gift. You can also complete a Gift Aid declaration.

Tax-Efficient Giving in the UK

  • Gift Aid and UK Tax Relief
    Gift Aid increases the value of gifts received by the College from UK tax payers. It also allows higher-rate tax payers to reclaim tax relief on donations to charity. With gift Aid, the College is able to reclaim an additional 25 pence for every pound donated by UK tax payers who submit a Gift Aid declaration.

    To reclaim Gift Aid the donor must pay income and/or capital gains tax at least equal to the amount that will be reclaimed.

    If you are a higher rate taxpayer, you are also entitled to claim the difference between the basic rate (20% as of 6th April 2008), and the higher rate (currently 40%) on the gross value of their gift – which is calculated before the transitional relief described above. So for a gift of £100, the gross value would be £125 and a higher rate taxpayer could claim back £25, in effect only spending £75.

    For more information on Gift Aid, please see the HMRC website.

  • Charities Aid Foundation (CAF)
    The CAF Charity Account works like a bank account designed specifically for charitable giving.  You decide how much you want to give and pay it into your account. Because CAF is a charity, you can claim back the tax on Gift Aid donations and add it to the amount in your account.  You can also fund the account through payroll giving or by gifts of shares, exactly as with any other charity. 

    More information can be found on the CAF website.

  • Payroll Giving
    Payroll giving is a way of giving an amount of money each week or month from your pay. It is a tax-effective way for employees, non-executive directors and those receiving a company pension to give a regular amount to one or more charities directly from their income. It can also be used for a one-off gift.

    The donation is made from your gross salary (before tax has been taken off). This means you receive tax relief immediately on the value of your gift. Another way of looking at it is that the money you would have paid in tax goes to your chosen charity.

    More information can be found on HMRC’s website.

Tax-Efficient Giving from Overseas

To make a gift tax-efficiently from another country, please see below.

  • USA
    Americans for Oxford is the University's primary charitable organisation in North America, and has been determined by the United States Internal Revenue Service to be a tax-exempt public charity with 501(c)(3) status.
  • Canada
    Canadians can donate a number of ways, and the University will ensure that you receive a Canadian income tax receipt for your gift.
  • Transnational Giving Europe
    The College is a registered partner with the above, which allows tax payers in many European countries to give tax-efficiently. If you live in the following countries there is a partner available: Belgium, Bulgaria, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, and Switzerland.
  • Rest of World
    The University offers its overseas Old Members a variety of ways to donate tax-efficiently.

Other Types of Gifts